The New York Times bestselling author of The Martian dropped by The Writer Files to chat with host Kelton Reid about his writing process and the upcoming movie adaptation of his hit book, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon (release date October 2, 2015).
The author’s journey to #1 on the New York Times Best Sellers list began as a humble series of blog posts that grew enough interest to demand self-publishing to Amazon. When The Martian’s popularity sky-rocketed, traditional publisher Random House called, and the rest is history.
From software engineer to sci-fi phenom, Andy is a down-to-earth writer and self-described “space nerd,” who still answers all of his fan mail.
Join Kelton and Andy for this two-part interview.
In Part One of the file, host Kelton Reid and Andy Weir discuss:
- How a science geek became a bestselling author
- The power of setting word counts
- One great trick for improving your dialogue
- Why your writer’s block may just be laziness
- How your enthusiasm doesn’t always determine the quality of your writing
- The creative power of a walk and a hot shower
The Writer Files on iTunes