Author and Fast Company Editor Joe Berkowitz stopped by The Writer Files this week. His latest, a humor book titled You Blew It!: An Awkward Look at the Many Ways in Which You’ve Already Ruined Your Life, lands this October. He took a break from his busy schedule to rap with host Kelton Reid about how he survives the harried life of a big city journalist.
In addition to his work for Fast Company, Joe’s writing has been featured in The Awl, Salon, The Village Voice, Vulture, RollingStone.com, GQ.com, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, and many others.
For a writer who works on breakneck deadlines, and almost never gets a break from the writing life, he has some pretty solid advice for keeping the cursor moving.
Join Kelton and Joe for this two-part interview.
In Part One of the file, host Kelton Reid and Joe Berkowitz discuss:
- How a bad breakup can boost your productivity
- When to throw out the rule “All Killer, No Filler”
- How to build your writing endurance
- Don Draper’s advice for beating writer’s block
- How making lists can help your head
- The magical power of 4:00 a.m. dementia
The Writer Files on iTunes